Students will require one of the following travel equipment kits to join us on course:
- Alpine Touring Skis
In addition students will require the following:
- Climbing Skins - trimmed to fit your specific equipment
- Ski Poles
- 1 of the following: Alpine Touring Ski Boots / Snowboard Boots / Winter Boots for Snowshoers.
- Daypack - IMPORTANT: You will require at minimum a 30L backpack. Anything smaller will not be sufficient to hold essential safety equipment.
- Sunglasses (for the uptrack)
- Ski Goggles (for the decent)
- Thermos with Hot Drink
- Sun Screen
- Small Blister Kit or Personal 1st Aid Kit
- Small Repair Kit (optional)
Avalanche Rescue (Companion Rescue) Equipment:
If you have your own beacon, probe and shovel, it's best to arrive with your own equipment. For those requiring this essential equipment, we stock *new rescue equipment replaced yearly, for your use on course, at no extra cost. Our avalanche beacons undergo weekly diagnostic testing to ensure proper function.
- Avalanche Beacon (3 antennae unit, must have been purchased new in past 4 years)
- Avalanche Probe
- Avalanche Shovel (metal blades only)
On our AST 1, this essential clothing list is provided firstly to help support a better quality educational environment for you while on course. On the field day, there will be 20-30 min blocks where our Guides are demonstrating skill sets such as snow profiles, and companion rescue where the group comes to a stop for longer periods. Having the right technical clothing that will keep you warm and dry, serves to provide you with a better quality learning environment.
- Base Layers - Either wool or synthetic, or a polypro base layer are the best options. DO NOT wear cotton base layers.
- Mid Layers - Again, wool, synthetic or polypro is are best
- Softshell Jacket or Goretex Jacket
- Softshell Pants or Goretex Pants
- Insulated Jacket - Large Parka style jackets are very important for the moments we're stopped during the field day. Down Parka's or Synthetic Down Parka's are a very important addition to your clothing systems for the course.
- Socks - Wool blend, no cotton.